Skip to main content

Hello 45- A birthday in lockdown





45 years ago in Bisidimo, Ethiopia.

In a few hours I will bring in my 45th birthday. As I write, Corona Virus has taken over our lives. Italy is in lock down and the mood everywhere is somber.  But it is my birthday tomorrow, so I refuse to be dispirited, and as I always do, am looking forward to a great birthday. It will be a different kind of birthday, one that I am sure I will especially remember. I know birthday plans have kept the kids busy and I hear rumors and whispers behind closed doors of surprises being planned for tomorrow. I am ready and waiting...

So what's it been like to be in lock down? Not too bad at all. We had anticipated it and so had stocked up with basics even before the announcement. No we didn't buy a hundred rolls of toilet paper but rather a limited amount of groceries, just enough to keep us going and limit our trips to the grocery store. The school is doing an incredible job with online schooling and the kids are busy through the day, attending classes, even PE and music. No one is bored or complaining yet. While they 'attend' school in their room in their pajamas most days, I work from my room (also in my pajamas most days:)). We take little breaks through the day where we snack, do a few stretches, play with or walk the dog and scan the news. It's been almost ten days and all in all we really are okay... staying busy, efficient, happy and most importantly calm and hopeful. And the biggest winner in all this is Taliya, who is enjoying having company all day.

Evenings are spend doing house chores- laundry, dishes, cleaning and cooking. Everybody has to chip in and surprisingly no big complaints from the kids. Initially I was a bit overwhelmed with organizing three meals and many snacks a day (kids at home means that they are perpetually hungry). But I got wise and got them to go back to getting their own breakfast (which is usually the norm but the first few days of working from home I felt obliged to spoil them a bit and had pancakes and waffles ready when they woke up). I also put them in charge of lunch. We made a simple menu for the week and they quite happily now have a easy, tasty meal ready by noon. We also started a ritual of all going for a family walk in our compound in the evening. We do meet some resistance here from the kids but all in all most days we are able to make this happen. Then it's dinner and clearing up, a movie or a book and then bed time for the kids.

Once they are asleep I open up my laptop and allow myself ten minutes of anxiety as I pour over the statistics of COVID 19 for the day. I have four tabs I never close, one which gives the world stats, one Italy, one UK and one India. The numbers are scary, the curve always rising and for those few minutes I have to admit I feel scared and helpless. For one there is the fact that one daughter is in the UK. We decided it's better she stays there for now. It seems to be for the best and yet I miss her, am worried for her and hope she will be okay.  And then there are our parents. Like many others, we are especially worried for them as they are far away. If they get sick, my brother and I cannot even go to them easily. It's crushing to imagine that scenario.  With a heavy heart I close close my laptop and go to bed. Another day in lockdown done.

Who ever imagined we would be living through something like this. And the worst is we don't know how long this will continue or what is really going to happen. The most heartbreaking is the news from the North. What must families there be going through...the doctors, the nurses, the medical staff. We are helpless and can only pray. And yet in spite of the misery we also see so much hope and resilience. The Italian people are strong and as they sing from their balconies and hang rainbows on their windows, you cannot resist joining in and believing that indeed "andra tutto bene" or "everything will be OK".

Today I am going to bed smiling. I take bets with G about who my first callers will be, I am looking forward to the beautiful hand made cards I know the girls will give me, I wonder about the big surprise they have been planning and I thank God for this wonderful life. And what a life it has been. So much love, countless very special friendships, much adventure, hope, many miracles...There is nothing I really want that I don't already have. Time to close my eyes. Tomorrow is a new day... and even if it's a birthday in lockdown, I know it's going to be a great one.

Goodnight everyone...Forza Italia and Hello 45!




Comments

  1. Happy birthday Sanchi, our good Lord will see us through this also

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sanchita you are a lovely human being. Stay safe and healthy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rebello Lobo Christmas update 2023- Transitions Trials Triumphs

It’s a few days before Christmas and here I am, sitting in one of my most favorite spots, the verandah of my ancestral home.  As I look back and contemplate the year that has been, I try to break down the share worthy moments and … I really do not know where to begin. The Rebello Lobo's have had another almost unbelievable year! A year of TRANSITIONS,  TRIALS and  TRIUMPHS. TRANSITIONS The Big move to Colombo Our 8 th move, was preluded by some formidable moments and so it was with much relief that we landed in Sri Lanka, the beautiful ‘Pearl of the Indian Ocean’- our home for the next (we hope) four years. Taliya took the journey very well and has since taken to Island life like quite the seasoned third culture dog she is. She might quite possibly be the only Lahsa Apso in Sri Lanka and as a result has been getting quite the celebrity attention. Colombo reminds us so much of home, and we are loving the food, the music, the culture, and the beaches. Home is just a one hour flight

We didn't just raise a strong girl, we raised a warrior

Neeira-in the last 18 years you have brought us much pride, love, and laughter. We watched you become a remarkable person with a strong moral compass. You often taught us, that speaking up for something even in the most uncomfortable of situations was ALWAYS worth it. You never hesitated to break the silence for what needed to be said. You took on stigmas and cycles and chains for you believed they needed to end. Your loyalty to your sisters, your mother tongue, and your mother land is inspiring. And your diligence and discipline for anything you take on is admirable. As you celebrate this milestone birthday on the cusp of the new adventure that awaits you, we wish that all your dreams come true. We hope a spicy plate of biryani will always bring you comfort, that you meet your favorite Bollywood stars someday, that you get to travel and travel and travel and go do a semester at sea.  You have heard us saying ever so often 'life is unfair' and you will experience this yourself

Lobo Rebello Christmas Family Update 2020

Dear friends and loved ones, Anything is possible, even the impossible. 2020 proved this right. What an aberrant year it was, so unexpected and utterly unbelievable. A virus came and took us hostage, built invisible walls that separated us from each other and savagely took away loved ones.  It was a year where everything was different and yet we couldn't  really pause because the business of life carried on. I n time we found a way circumventing through the  m onotony, the isolation, the paranoia, the frustration. Some of us trusted the science and followed the guidance, while some of us didn't and added to the frustration of those who did. The months passed, we celebrated lockdown birthdays and anniversaries, we expertly home schooled, and navigated new ways of working. We endured, we  innovated and dipped deep into our indomitable spirit, grit and resilience .  Yes, there were times we did lose our sanity but for the most part we survived pretty damn well.  And believe it or