Skip to main content

A Little old Irish lady and a Shiny Coin

Ever since Pope Francis told mothers in the Sistine Chapel to go ahead and breastfeed their children if they needed to, there have been a lot of blogs and stories praising the pontiff, mothers sharing their experiences and lots more interesting stories of all kinds. It got me thinking back to this really funny experience I had, and so no better to time to share it, than at the peak of all this breast feeding chatter.

Spoiler alert: The story is not directly related to the issue of breast feeding in public, it is more about stereotyping, but nevertheless read on, and you will see the connection.

This happened when my third daughter was a few months old. We were living in Rome at that time and would attend Mass at the Irish College most Sundays. The Mass was in English, the priests and seminarians warm and welcoming and they had a lovely catechism program for kids after Mass.

So one Sunday, we finished Mass and the older girls went off for Catechism. It was a lovely day, the sun shone down in all it's glory and I sat with the baby outside, by a fountain in the gardens of the Irish college enjoying the winter sun.

That day, there was a big group of Irish tourists that had attended the service and many from the group milled about also enjoying the sun and the garden.The baby began to get fidgety and I knew she was hungry. Now I must say, I have never really been apprehensive about breast feeding in public. We are the kind of family that just picks up our kids and goes everywhere and does everything. We never really put anything on hold just because someone is hungry or cranky or its time for bed:) And so when my kids were babies, I had no qualms about feeding them wherever I was, whenever they were hungry.

Neeira and me
And so that's just what I did. There, sitting by the fountain, I began to breastfeed my baby. After a while, I saw this old lady from the group of Irish tourists approach me. I didn't think too much of it, I just thought that perhaps she wants to take a look at the fountain, or maybe she wants to rest her weary legs and sit down beside me. So I was absolutely dumbfounded when she came up and offered me a one euro coin. Instinctively I took it, not knowing or understanding exactly why she was giving this to me. Dumbstruck, frozen, flabbergasted and speechless, I watched her turn and walk away.

And then it dawned on me. She though I was a vagrant. My long dark hair, complexion and the fact that I had a shawl wrapped around the baby and me, had her assume I was one of those gypsy mother's, with her little baby, who you see hanging around places of public interest, asking gullible tourists for money.  For a minute I was livid and wanted to shout out to her to come back and take her coin back, but then the humor of it all hit me and I began to laugh. I watched her climb into her tourist bus and when she looked out of the window, I even gave her a tiny wave. She must have thought, "That cheeky gypsy, not even a thank you."

Even though I laughed, to be honest I was offended. I would have loved to go up to her and in my poshest accent tell her that not every lady holding a baby wrapped in a shawl, is a gypsy. I would have loved to go up to her, hand her back her coin and say," Go get yourself a cornetto." But I let her go. I let her think she did her good deed for the day and gave a starving gypsy a euro towards the evening meal.

Perhaps she too went home and told this story to her friends back home. They probably listened and collectively made disgruntled noises about the gypsy menace in Italy and how ungrateful they are etc etc etc. Or perhaps she thought about it and realized she made a mistake, and it haunted her for the rest of her life:)

Anyways I treated myself to a gelato with her one euro and saved the experience away under 'colorful life experiences'. And while my husband and friends teased me for months afterwards, I now had a story to tell my grandchildren about  a little old Irish lady and a shiny coin.

And coming back to Papa Francesco, I not only salute him for advocating breast feeding, but more importantly I admire him for out right implying that babies and children, distractions and all are always welcome in Church. Every parent that has received frowns, glares and stares of disapproval when their children talk or cry or whinge in Church, can now even more confidently, just smile and ignore the displeased eyes boring into them. Papa, you rock!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rebello Lobo Christmas update 2023- Transitions Trials Triumphs

It’s a few days before Christmas and here I am, sitting in one of my most favorite spots, the verandah of my ancestral home.  As I look back and contemplate the year that has been, I try to break down the share worthy moments and … I really do not know where to begin. The Rebello Lobo's have had another almost unbelievable year! A year of TRANSITIONS,  TRIALS and  TRIUMPHS. TRANSITIONS The Big move to Colombo Our 8 th move, was preluded by some formidable moments and so it was with much relief that we landed in Sri Lanka, the beautiful ‘Pearl of the Indian Ocean’- our home for the next (we hope) four years. Taliya took the journey very well and has since taken to Island life like quite the seasoned third culture dog she is. She might quite possibly be the only Lahsa Apso in Sri Lanka and as a result has been getting quite the celebrity attention. Colombo reminds us so much of home, and we are loving the food, the music, the culture, and the beaches. Home is just a one hour flight

We didn't just raise a strong girl, we raised a warrior

Neeira-in the last 18 years you have brought us much pride, love, and laughter. We watched you become a remarkable person with a strong moral compass. You often taught us, that speaking up for something even in the most uncomfortable of situations was ALWAYS worth it. You never hesitated to break the silence for what needed to be said. You took on stigmas and cycles and chains for you believed they needed to end. Your loyalty to your sisters, your mother tongue, and your mother land is inspiring. And your diligence and discipline for anything you take on is admirable. As you celebrate this milestone birthday on the cusp of the new adventure that awaits you, we wish that all your dreams come true. We hope a spicy plate of biryani will always bring you comfort, that you meet your favorite Bollywood stars someday, that you get to travel and travel and travel and go do a semester at sea.  You have heard us saying ever so often 'life is unfair' and you will experience this yourself

Lobo Rebello Christmas Family Update 2020

Dear friends and loved ones, Anything is possible, even the impossible. 2020 proved this right. What an aberrant year it was, so unexpected and utterly unbelievable. A virus came and took us hostage, built invisible walls that separated us from each other and savagely took away loved ones.  It was a year where everything was different and yet we couldn't  really pause because the business of life carried on. I n time we found a way circumventing through the  m onotony, the isolation, the paranoia, the frustration. Some of us trusted the science and followed the guidance, while some of us didn't and added to the frustration of those who did. The months passed, we celebrated lockdown birthdays and anniversaries, we expertly home schooled, and navigated new ways of working. We endured, we  innovated and dipped deep into our indomitable spirit, grit and resilience .  Yes, there were times we did lose our sanity but for the most part we survived pretty damn well.  And believe it or