Skip to main content

Perhaps this is the beginning


I love to write! I think I write well. What the hell I know I write well. When I was young I wanted to be a journalist but somewhere along the way I pushed that dream to the back burner and got a degree in Management instead. No regrets but the passionate writer in me longs for release.  So and now and then I write something to keep alive the scribe in me but not often enough. I always have excuses... too busy, no inspiration, no audience, the endless list surprises even me. As for encouragement there definitely hasn't been a lack of that. My biggest cheerleaders- my parents and my husband, my friends who read my yearly Christmas updates and sporadic musings, have all, always gently prodded me to write more. But while I happily sap up the praise and honestly make a resolution to write more, I come up with new excuses and the weeks fly by...

But here I am writing a blog....perhaps this is the beginning!

Our family is what many call a global nomadic family. Our four daughters are third culture kids, whose development years are being  marked by frequent geographic transitions and multiple cultural influences. They gallantly pack and unpack their treasures and bravely embrace new schools and friendships My husband Gerard's job with the UN has us moving on an average every four years. We have lived in UK, Italy, Ethiopia and now, twelve years after we left India we are back. For our kids who have never lived in India though this is just like any other move, they are learning, adjusting and adapting. Their Indian origin sure makes it easier. Holidays and vacations to India over the years has sensitised them to the culture and established bonds with family and friends who live here. However this move has also been more difficult in the sense that our family is adjusting to a whole new dynamic, that of dad (a highly hands on one at that) being away. You see Gerard has been posted to Afghanistan, a non family duty station. He comes home every six weeks for a fortnight and so for all practical purposes for the next two years I am a single parent, a long distance wife.

So watch this space for my musings on my life here in Bangalore. Maybe if I really get into this, I'll tell you some colourful stories of the past, post happy, challenging, funny and inspiring snapshots of our life. I am excited about this....welcome to my world:)

Comments

  1. Looking forward to me, cutie. Keep this up! I applaud you for taking the first step.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rebello Lobo Christmas update 2023- Transitions Trials Triumphs

It’s a few days before Christmas and here I am, sitting in one of my most favorite spots, the verandah of my ancestral home.  As I look back and contemplate the year that has been, I try to break down the share worthy moments and … I really do not know where to begin. The Rebello Lobo's have had another almost unbelievable year! A year of TRANSITIONS,  TRIALS and  TRIUMPHS. TRANSITIONS The Big move to Colombo Our 8 th move, was preluded by some formidable moments and so it was with much relief that we landed in Sri Lanka, the beautiful ‘Pearl of the Indian Ocean’- our home for the next (we hope) four years. Taliya took the journey very well and has since taken to Island life like quite the seasoned third culture dog she is. She might quite possibly be the only Lahsa Apso in Sri Lanka and as a result has been getting quite the celebrity attention. Colombo reminds us so much of home, and we are loving the food, the music, the culture, and the beaches. Home is just a one hour flight

We didn't just raise a strong girl, we raised a warrior

Neeira-in the last 18 years you have brought us much pride, love, and laughter. We watched you become a remarkable person with a strong moral compass. You often taught us, that speaking up for something even in the most uncomfortable of situations was ALWAYS worth it. You never hesitated to break the silence for what needed to be said. You took on stigmas and cycles and chains for you believed they needed to end. Your loyalty to your sisters, your mother tongue, and your mother land is inspiring. And your diligence and discipline for anything you take on is admirable. As you celebrate this milestone birthday on the cusp of the new adventure that awaits you, we wish that all your dreams come true. We hope a spicy plate of biryani will always bring you comfort, that you meet your favorite Bollywood stars someday, that you get to travel and travel and travel and go do a semester at sea.  You have heard us saying ever so often 'life is unfair' and you will experience this yourself

Lobo Rebello Christmas Family Update 2020

Dear friends and loved ones, Anything is possible, even the impossible. 2020 proved this right. What an aberrant year it was, so unexpected and utterly unbelievable. A virus came and took us hostage, built invisible walls that separated us from each other and savagely took away loved ones.  It was a year where everything was different and yet we couldn't  really pause because the business of life carried on. I n time we found a way circumventing through the  m onotony, the isolation, the paranoia, the frustration. Some of us trusted the science and followed the guidance, while some of us didn't and added to the frustration of those who did. The months passed, we celebrated lockdown birthdays and anniversaries, we expertly home schooled, and navigated new ways of working. We endured, we  innovated and dipped deep into our indomitable spirit, grit and resilience .  Yes, there were times we did lose our sanity but for the most part we survived pretty damn well.  And believe it or